Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One week done

I've now finished five of my radiation treatments (twenty five to go, but we'll not focus on that...). In reality, the treatments are very easy. Pat and I leave home at 6:30, he drops me at a T-stop (on his way to work), I ride the subway in, arrive at the radiation oncology department by 8:00, change into a gown, lie on the treatment table for about 5 minutes, change back, and I'm done by 8:30. A two hour trip for about 20 seconds of actual radiation.

I don't have any side effects from treatment yet (and probably won't have any for at least one week more). The treatment beams are very focused and just cover my left groin, so I'll only have local side effects (such as skin irritation - like a sunburn). I may also have some mild fatigue by the end of my six weeks of treatment.

Typically, I've been staying at the Longwood medical area and working until around 2:00, when I ride the subway back to Milton. Gwyneth and William come with me on Thursdays, when we meet with my radiation oncologist. Otherwise, they have some mommy and me time in the mornings; Gwyneth has some study time when I come home in the afternoon.


Our drive to Boston on Sunday the 11th, was uneventful. William cooperated (despite being packed in the back seat between too much luggage).


He also had his first Happy Meal.


There was snow on the ground when we arrived in Boston; William was a big fan of this.


We were fortunate to be able to use Pat's parent's house on Cape Cod for the long weekend. The beach isn't so pleasant this time of year,


but it was cozy inside with a fire.


We also tried some candlestick bowling (which is even harder than duckpins).

There was even more snow when we arrived back in Milton on Monday, so William enjoyed some more snow shoveling (an infatuation that, I'm certain, will not last into his teenage years).

Thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes.
Robert, Gwyneth, and William

No comments:

Post a Comment