Saturday, February 21, 2009

Biopsy next week

We're happy to report that my radiation treatments are going very smoothly. I've been feeling well and will have my last treatment on Thursday.

Unfortunately, I also have another biopsy procedure scheduled next week. On Wednesday, I had a followup chest CT that showed numerous small nodules as well as some small hazy areas in my lungs. Of course (we're used to this by now), my doctors are not totally sure what to make of these. Cancer is the major concern, but the sarcoma group at Dana Farber does not feel that these look like classic metastatic sarcoma. An infection or an inflammatory condition would be other possibilities.

So, I'll have a lung biopsy procedure on Wednesday here in Boston (a video-assisted thoracoscopy or 'VATS' procedure). We met with the surgeon on Friday, he feels confident that the biopsies will be successful (i.e., we'll get a diagnosis from this), and I should tolerate the procedure well (I'll likely spend one night in the hospital).

We're sorry that this continues to be so complicated, but we do appreciate your continued support and prayers.
Robert and Gwyneth

No comments:

Post a Comment