After some discussion with the sarcoma groups here at Hopkins and at Dana-Farber, we'll be starting my chemotherapy on Thursday (March 12). I'll be getting two agents: gemcitabine (Gemzar) and docetaxol (Taxotere).
Unlike last time, I'll be able to get these drugs as an outpatient (as both can be given as hour-long, rather than multi-day, infusions). So, I'll spend about half a day on Thursday in our outpatient infusion center while I get my chemotherapy. Next Thursday (week 2), I'll do the same thing. Week 3 is off, and then we start over the following week (i.e., a three week cycle).
Another plus: I won't need a central venous catheter this time (i.e., no Hickman catheter or portacath). Although I will need peripheral IVs for each chemotherapy session, they'll be removed when I leave, I'll have no permanent tube hanging out of me, and I'll generally feel more normal.
Although it's hard to know for sure, we do expect that I'll tolerate the chemotherapy side effects well. Most say that side effects from these agents are milder than those from last year's chemotherapy. Certainly, I will have some fatigue and nausea, but we trust that everything will be manageable. Also, just in time for summer, I'll once again have the fashionable bald look.
As always, thank you for your support and prayers!
Robert and Gwyneth
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Chemotherapy starts on Thursday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment