Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Surgery on Thursday
A brief update on my treatments:
I've recently finished five cycles of chemotherapy (gemcitabine and taxotere, every three weeks). Overall, we weathered this treatment well. I did gain about 15 pounds of water weight (although I do hide it reasonably well!!). Also, last week, I was pretty sick with what seems to have been pneumonia, but I've mostly recovered now.
We're happy to report that my lung nodules have responded very well to the chemotherapy; my recent chest CT's have looked very good. However, at the same time, I have new nodules in my spleen. These were not visible before my chemotherapy began and have been gradually enlarging. Certainly (without having actual tissue to look at) we can't be sure of what these are, but cancer is a major concern.
So, I'm scheduled for a splenectomy at Hopkins this Thursday as both a diagnostic and potentially therapeutic procedure. While this is significant abdominal surgery, it's not a terribly complicated procedure, so we expect that I'll do well. I hope to be home within a couple of days.
Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers - we're very appreciative as always!
Robert and Gwyneth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We're praying.
Moody and Sheila
Thinking of you, Gwyneth and William. Let me know if you need any calls to the Surgical floor to make sure you get the best RN! Whatever you need, just let me know. Miss you. Kelly C
Post a Comment