I really have a hard time coming up with interesting titles for these blog entries!
I am sitting next to Robert's bed as I write - he is much more alert this evening, but so far seems comfortable. This has been wonderful for me, as we were able to "talk" a little bit. He continues to tell me that he is not in pain, although he also nodded yes when I asked "is it better to be asleep?" He seems to understand when I explain which medications he is receiving and why, and a friend of ours stopped by this afternoon and joked with him about needing a Radiation Oncology consult for a patient of hers, and I am told that Robert smiled at the joke, although I was out of the room at the time.
On the medical front, Robert remains much the same. He continues to have some bleeding into his lungs, although we have been somewhat hopeful that it is slowing down, as he seems to be requiring fewer blood transfusions. Today was his third day of high dose steroids, and the plan is to continue him on a lower dose of steroids for at least the next little while. Because he is receiving such significant doses of steroids, which suppress his already compromised immune system, he was started on prophylactic antibiotics today, to try and prevent infection. He was able to to tolerate a lower oxygen setting on his ventilator for a while today, but required going back up to the higher level this evening. He had some periods of coughing this morning, but that seemed to calm down as the day went by. He has been able to tolerate a higher rate of formula through his feeding tube.
It is snowing here again in Baltimore and I am about to go for a walk through the snow, as one of the wonderful social workers on Robert's team was able to arrange for me to have a room in the Family House across the street from the hospital. I am very reluctant to leave Robert, even for a few hours, but a good friend will stay with him while I'm gone and I can run back across the street quite quickly if needed.
With hope and prayers for a quiet night and for Robert's healing,
Gwyneth
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Tuesday night
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thinking of you and praying for your family during this difficult time.
The Aune Family
Gwyneth - You are a picture of grace, humility, and boundless love. We are grateful for your updates and wish we could be there to help in any way needed. We think of you and your family all day, everyday. Squeeze Robert's hand for us! -Dan-
Post a Comment